Find humane candidates in your area with our new election resource
At the Humane Society Legislative Fund, we know that solving many of the systemic problems facing animals today depends on passing animal protection legislation at the federal level. But, in order to do that, it is critical that we elect humane-minded candidates to office. Without legislative allies and advocates, it will be ever harder to secure a square deal for companion animals, phase out the use of animals in research, testing, and education, improve welfare standards for farm animals, expand protections for wildlife, put a stop to animal cruelty, end the slaughter of horses for human consumption overseas, or crack down on the rampant and abusive practice of horse “soring”—to name a few worthwhile goals we all share.
With the general election less than a month away, now is the time to get political for animals. That’s why HSLF is today launching a new endorsement site, featuring our list of candidates for office that we favor based solely on their stands and records on animal protection issues. This is the first such resource of its kind for supporters of animal protection nationwide, and on the site you’ll be able to easily search by state or office to see the names of individuals HSLF has endorsed.
As a friend of HSLF, you already know about our annual Humane Scorecard, which rates legislators based on their records in office. Our endorsement site is intended to serve as an easy and informative supplemental resource to find out more about the candidates running to represent you in Congress. Whether they’re longtime legislators or individuals new to politics, our site features candidate-specific information on the issue you care most about: animal protection.
In addition to the endorsements in congressional races around the country, HSLF has endorsed Hillary Clinton for President, and launched a campaign informing voters that a Trump administration could be one of the worst ever for animals.
This is a particularly critical election for animals, so it’s important that we turn out to the polls to support those who have expressed a willingness to join in the fight. Right now, we have a number of important bills pending in Congress, including:
- The Humane Cosmetics Act to phase out the testing of cosmetics on live animals and the sale of newly animal-tested cosmetics;
- The Pet and Women Safety (PAWS) Act to protect the human and animal victims of domestic violence and support the work of battered women’s shelters to accommodate pets;
- The Prevent Animal Cruelty and Torture (PACT) Act to make malicious animal cruelty a crime on federal property and in interstate commerce, and complement the state anti-cruelty laws;
- The Prevent All Soring Tactics (PAST) Act to strengthen the federal law against the “soring” of show horses—using caustic chemicals and other painful substances to injure the horses’ hooves and legs to induce a high-stepping gait;
- The Safeguard American Food Exports (SAFE) Act to prohibit the slaughter and export of horses for human consumption overseas;
- And much more...
The bills that don’t get over the finish line in the final days of Congress will have to be reintroduced next year—and we need to build our ranks of humane advocates and champions who will fight for these reforms. So, please, take a look at our site and find out which humane candidate is running in your area. If you haven’t registered to vote, you can easily do so by going here. And, in case you missed it, read our recently-issued endorsement for the presidential race.
Remember, you hold the power to make sure humane candidates get into Congress and stay there. To that end, we hope you’ll find our new site helpful, and share it with friends and family who care about animal protection.